7 Tips for Hiring a DJ!
- Prompt return of your phone calls or Emails. Does the DJ you are thinking about hiring respond in a prompt manner? You should expect to get a call back or an email back within 24 hours. The only exception may be weekends when most DJs are performing.
- Willingness to meet with you and present his/her service. Will the DJ try to meet with you or at least schedule a video conference?
- Do you LIKE the person that shows up? There is NOTHING worse in the world than having to do business with someone you do not like. Choosing the person who feels right is the most important factor in picking the right entertainer for your party or reception.
- Does the DJ have a music list or online system that shows you what sort of music he or she has available? You need to be assured that the DJ you hire not only has a sizable collection, but has a variety of music, especially for wedding receptions, where many different styles of music and guests will be in the same room together.
- Does the DJ use professional grade equipment? The DJ should be able to tell you what he/she uses and characterize the equipment as professional grade.
- Will the DJ offer to meet with you AFTER signing the contract to plan your event? A professional DJ is ALWAYS willing to discuss your event at any time before the event starts, and should display the flexibility to accommodate changes and help you solve problems. Meeting or phone/ video conferencing your DJ to plan your event is of paramount importance to a successful event such as a wedding reception.
- Will the person that you interview be the person that will perform at your event? This is THE most common complaint about the DJ industry today. The person you meet turns out NOT to be the person that actually does your show. Often, you are not made aware of this. Ask the DJ you interview if he/she will be the actual person performing, or will someone else perform the event. You need to know this UP FRONT before you sign a contract.